Two months ago we moved to a new area and have been trying to get settled in a rental house, unload boxes, figure out the best shopping spots, preschool, church and making new friends. It has been a bit hectic and stressful and I feel like I haven’t been too happy lately. I definitely didn’t have the balance that keeps my happiness in check. In the midst of the craziness, I remembered a great tip a motivational coach once said.
He said to create a When Life Works (WLW) List. It is a list of 5-10 things that when in check, your life feels happy and balanced. Your WLW list can have things like “get 8 hours of sleep a night” or “exercise daily”.
After I heard this tip, I immediately created my list. It didn’t take long and it really wasn’t complicated. And I really found this tip to work. When the items on this list aren’t being addressed our lives feel out of balance. When are lives are out of balance we can’t be our best self. And we deserve to be our best self and those that we love deserve to have the best of us as well.
Here is my When Life Works List:
- Read the bible daily
- Get 8 hours of sleep a night
- Exercise daily
- Eat healthy foods regularly
- Spend time daily talking with those I love
Here is what you need to do to write your list.
- Take 15 minutes to yourself and think of a day or time when you felt balanced
- List elements of that day
- Go through that list and pick out the items that really contributed to your feeling of balance and happiness
- Write them down (I recommend a sticky note!) and place it where you will see it often. When life gets out of balance, see what is missing on your list and take action!
So I went back to my list and there were some things that were missing. I’ve added them back in and my happiness has truly increased! This week I challenge you to take the time to create your WLW list. It is the first step to creating balance and happiness in your life! I’d love for you to share with me what you have on your list.